Helicon Focus is a powerful tool created to help macro or any kind of photographers that want to extend the depth of field in their shots.
The application makes use of a technique called ‘stacking’, which means that it takes multiple images and stacks them one on top of the other, overlapping and summing up the focused portions. To be able to do this, you need to have the same composition throughout the shots because the application uses anchor points to successfully blend the photos.
Though it sounds like a complicated process, the interface of the application convinces you otherwise. It displays a comprehensive structure that makes it easy to load the photos, select the blending method, output resolution and smoothing level.
Features of Helicon Focus
Accurate rendition of colors
• Processing of images with 16 bit precision preserves all the hues and details, exceeding dynamic range of camera sensors. Color profiles support enables accurate color reproduction and correct keeping of color information in the output file.
Efficient and easy RAW development
• Handling RAW files have never been easier! Open RAW files in Helicon Focus or export them from Lightroom. Fully adjustable development controls, built-in and manufacturer’s codecs will satisfy even the most demanding user.
State-of-the-art processing algorithms
• Helicon Focus became a de facto standard in focus stacking. Elaborate computing algorithms are standing behind each processed stack. Unique team of R&D engineers and software developers is constantly on the forefront of innovations and is always inspired to attempt the impossible.
Advanced interpolation options
• Helicon Focus uses the most advanced resampling algorithms to preserve every detail.
• Helicon Focus keeps pace with all modern advances, exploiting the capacity of the last-gen processors to the utmost. The software utilizes all cores for image processing, allowing to cut down the rendering time.
Stack length is no more a limit
• Even long stacks of hundreds of high-resolution images are not a problem for Helicon Focus. With this software even a usual laptop in the field will be able to handle huge stacks of RAW files.
64 bit support
• Got a top notch work station? Helicon Focus will use 100% of its memory and processor power!
Getting the maximum of your processor
• Helicon Focus automatically detects the processor type and all available features of modern processors. All the data manipulations are managed with modern processor instructions (SSE, SSE2, AVX, FMA3).
• With this feature of Helicon Focus you can process RAW files in native color space and save result as DNG file.
• With Helicon Focus you get truly unique retouching brushes just at your fingertips. Once the stacking’s over, finish the result with retouching tools that no usual image editor has. No trivial solutions – only focus stacking specials. Copy areas from aligned source images or combine areas from several outputs – with Helicon Focus you get enhanced retouching capacity with streamlined interface.
• If you are the one who likes everything to look perfect, use a special grid to do the fine and precise retouching of the 100% scale high-resolution image. Go cell by cell not to miss a thing.
• Make everyone understand how small the subject you shot is – add a scale bar to the resulting image.
Split and enqueue stacks
• Give an unlimited number of tasks to Helicon Focus at once, and leave it to deal with all of them. Shoot as many stacks as you wish, open the whole folder for Helicon Focus to split it into stacks and put them in queue for further rendering.
• Streamline your workflow by calling Helicon Focus from other applications. Pass the parameters via command line and let the software do the job.
Smooth integration with Lightroom
• Don’t change your usual image processing environment – export stacks to Helicon Focus right from Lightroom. Helicon Focus plug-in enables seamless interaction between the two programs, making your usual workflow perfectly optimized.
Helicon 3d Viewer
• Export the stacking result to Helicon 3d Viewer, and advanced computing algorithms will exactly reconstruct the natural 3D view of the shot subject. Easy to add on the Web and share with colleagues and community, 3D visualization gives a completely realistic view. Adjust the relief type and the viewpoint, add light source and save the 3D model rotation video in a fraction of a minute.
Creating a micropanorama
• Shoot several images with your microscope or DSLR and Helicon Focus will seamlessly stitch them into a perfectly merged panorama image. Adjust the main controls and this software will align the images and match the pattern automatically.
Developer: Helicon Soft Ltd.
OS: Windows Vista/7/8/10 (64-bit)
– Lightroom integration: Helicon Focus no longer exits automatically upon saving the rendering result
– 3D viewer crash fixed on Windows
– Batch processing, command line mode: TIFFs are now saved with LZW compression by default
– Some other minor improvements