is an advanced ebook editor that provides users with comprehensive options and configuration settings. It offers support for HTML, XHTML, TXT, image and video files, and it comes wrapped in a user-friendly interface that puts emphasis on simplicity. It is capable of generating ePub files.
Design ePub ebooks with resourceful tools
• Probably the most notable feature about Sigil is the split viewing mode which allows you to view the code and design side-by-side, an option usually founding in complex and paid applications.
Take advantage of a wide range of useful features
• When putting together new ebooks, it is possible to design the covers and edit basic metadata along with role properties, span text into multiple file by taking into account the cursor position or after inserting markers, as well as generate a table of contents or edit the existing one (if any).
• The software application keeps track of all text copied to the Clipboard, records it to history and allows you to paste any preferred clip. Complex searches can be run with advanced files, and it is possible to replace keywords as well as to save searches to run them again at a later time.
• Sigil integrates a spellchecker and it is capable of validating ePub and CSS styles using online services, as well as remove unused media and CSS styles in order to reduce the size of the ePub file. Keyboard shortcuts are available for all important commands and they can be easily remapped into something else.
Evaluation and conclusion
• There were no kind of issues throughout our evaluation, since Sigil did not hang, crash or pop up error messages. It has a good response time and runs on low CPU and RAM, so it does not affect the overall performance of the computer.
• Taking everything into account, Sigil delivers effective solutions to reading, editing and generating ebooks with the ePub format, and it is backed by a wide range of practical features and configuration parameters that come in handy to all types of users, whether they are experts or less experienced with such software.
Features of Sigil
• Full Unicode support: everything you see in Sigil is in UTF-16
• Full EPUB spec support
• WYSIWYG editing
• Multiple Views: Book View, Code View and Split View
• Metadata editor with full support for all possible metadata entries (more than 200) with full descriptions for each
• Table Of Contents editor
• Multi-level TOC support
• Book View fully supports the display of any XHTML document possible under the OPS spec
• SVG support
• Basic XPGT support
• Advanced automatic conversion of all imported documents to Unicode
• Currently imports TXT, HTML and EPUB files; more will be added with time
• Currently exports EPUB and SGF (Sigil native format); more will be added with time
• Embedded HTML Tidy; all imported documents are thoroughly cleaned; changing views cleans the document so no matter how much you screw up your code, it will fix it (usually )
• An actually usable user interface
• Native C++ application
* not available